Thursday, March 2, 2017

NATURAL LIGHT PORTRAIT : Rembrandt Style Lighting



Rembrandt style lighting is easy to spot because it has the triangle light that shows on the shadow side of the check and is achieved with a light at about a 45 degree angle above and slightly to the side with a reflective light lower on the other side and slighty to the front.  I chose to use this photograph I took of Adalynn (my newest niece, she is 6 months old) I thought a soft light and edit would give the photo the right touch.  
I used the Northern exposure natural light from the window, along with the natural light from the East window, and the backlight from the tv screen, that was slightly to her right, to bounce light off her check. 
 She is a so sweet and really acts like she is just so glad to be alive.  Her eyes always sparkle when she smiles and she lights up the room!  (My sister and Adalynn almost died when Addy was born - she was born not breathing and had to be on life support after my sisters uterus ruptured.)  After 13 days at Primary Childrens Hospital Addy survived and seems genuinely happy to be here! 

A 'studio' Rembrandt lighting setup can look something like this;
 ...so with the natural lighting I used the 'Northern natural light' window that was at a 45 degree angle above her, the East window light that was lower & I added the screen reflector on the same side as the East light but as a side backlight that reflected off her shadowed check - to give her the look of angels that might have watched over her and helped to keep her alive. 

 I'd like to think I got lucky and captured her right at the perfect moment, showing how her whole face lights up and even her eyes smile as you see the twinkle and her face full of happy baby dimples that seem to joyfully giggle 'I am alive' !


This is a 'sense of humor attempt' to grab a "natural light glamour shot" of my pug.
She looks likes she's being 'judged for not being glamorous' haha

No comments:

Post a Comment